A more concrete prototype

On this morning my time was dedicated to the quick prototyping a of more concrete version of my phonecase. It’s really simple but it does the job. I observed that explaining why concept of phonecase without having it attached to the smartphone was causing a little bit of friction.

I created a 3d model and wanted it to be printed but it would take too much time. Thats why I decided to reuse an old broken phonecase I had and to extract just the part I was interested in. I removed the leather part and the magnet. Then I just glued everything to the phonecase cover. used adhesive to stick it to the back of the phone and… magic happening. By covering the adhesive part with my hand I can show it, film it or take pictures without people knowing it looks like this. The magnet also fixes the cover on the screen so when the screen faces the ground, the cover doesn’t fall or act weird. Next week I’ll be printing the new version and test my new animations!



The glue need to be carefully cleaned

The glue need to be carefully cleaned

Prototypes and storyboard

Last week I started to think about the video to explain my concept. I don’t consider it as a making of, it will be another video. This video must show my product, which problem it solves, and who needs it. I made videos with my smartphone. I looked for pictures on the internet and then I combined everything in after effects to have a first demo of how I wanted it to look like.

It took me 1h15 to make this video and then I started to iterate on it by listing all the problems. The flow of ideas, the different ways to show the product, everything wasn’t really good but it was ok since it was just a test. Then I took time to write again and re-order my ideas. Then I contacted Yohann Leroy. Yohann is a friend from Lyon, he recently moved to Paris. He is a motion designer and his brother Christopher is a creator and editor. I contacted them because I knew they were doing a great job and I needed their advice and their help for my project.

We met last Sunday. Thanks to the tests I did they had a clear vision of what I wanted to achieve. I explained my project during 2 straight hours and they had a lot of questions. It was super cool to hear people being so interested in my project like this. After drinking a sweet coffe in the 11th district, we split because I needed to go back home fast and work again on the text and the timing of the video.

[su_custom_gallery source=”media: 712,700″ link=”image” width=”300″ height=”170″ title=”never”]

Today I made a new document with more details and I attached images as a storyboard. The video is divided into multiple parts:

  1. Presentation of a persona
  2. Context
  3. Environmental problems
  4. Users problems
  5. Persona’s needs
  6. BE.IO is a solution
  7. Persona learns to use BE.IO
  8. Persona solves its problem
  9. Packshot and details

I sent it to Christopher and I’m waiting for his questions and propositions about the video. By the way you should definitely take a look at his video about his trip to Montreal.

MONTRÉAL : JE ME SOUVIENS. from Christopher LEROY on Vimeo.

3D renders with the new grid

I made fast 3d render using C4D. By exporting your .AI file as an illustrator 3 file you can it merge into a scene and extrude it. It gives me an image of the final result, with multiple angles. I also think that the white render is pretty cool. Maybe this is something I should think about offering to customers [the choice to order the product with multiple colors].